Huntington Beach


hot deals

Discount Disneyland Tickets


Catalina Flyer


 



Beaches
Bolsa Chica SB
Dog beach
HB City Beach
HB Pier
HB State Beach
Beach Firerings
Beach Parking
Beach paths

Places to stay
California Hotels

Huntington Beach Hotels
 

Huntington Beach Pier in 1904 in Huntington Beach, California Photos and Historical Information
 


Huntington Beach Pier in Huntington Beach California has been around for over 100 years. From a pleasure pier to a vantage point during World War II, then back to a pleasure pier once more, this beloved structure has provided millions of strolls, photo opportunities and fishing stories not soon forgotten..

Today, Huntington Beach Pier is a focal point. It features a restaurant, several shops, fishing basins, restrooms, Lifeguard Tower Zero and benches to sit on.

The first pier was built in 1904. It was a 1,000-foot-long timber structure seen above in the photograph. In 1904 the town had changed its name from Pacific City to Huntington Beach in honor of Henry E. Huntington.  A Pacific Electric Red Car train pulled into the new train station on July 4, 1904, just as the Independence Day Celebration, a 100+ year tradition was about to start. 

It would be five years before the City of Huntington Beach was incorporated. In 1912, winter storms nearly destroyed the pier, and a $70,000 bond issue was approved by the voters to build a new pier. The 1,350 ft. pier was the longest, highest, and only solid concrete pleasure pier in the United States at that time.

In 1930, the pier was lengthened by 500 ft. with a café at the end. In 1939, a storm destroyed the end of the pier and the cafe. After reconstruction, it was re-opened in 1940. In 1941, the Navy commandeered the pier for submarine watch during World War II.

In March of 1983, storms severely damaged the end of the pier and the End of the Pier cafe, necessitating demolition and closure of the end of the pier. In September 1985, the rehabilitated pier reopened with a new two story End Cafe, only to be washed away again on January 17, 1988. The pier was declared unsafe and closed on July 12, 1988. In July 1990, the construction bid for the new pier was given to Reidel International. The new pier replicated the historic architectural style of the original 1914 concrete pier, complete with arched bents. The pier was built to withstand not only wave impact and uplift, but also earthquakes.