Monterey County California
Maps, Information and Links

    Monterey County Beaches

    1. Willow Creek Picnic Area 
    2. Jade Cove 
    3. Sand Dollar Picnic Area and Beach 
    4. Mill Creek Picnic Area 
    5. Kirk Creek Campground 
    6. Limekiln State Park
    7. Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park 
    8. Partington Cove 
    9. Pfeiffer Beach 
    10. Andrew Molera State Park 
    11. Garrapata State Park 
    12. Point Lobos State Reserve 
    13. Carmel River State Beach 
    14. Carmel City Beach 
    15. Fanshell Beach 
    16. Moss Beach 
    17. Spanish Bay 
    18. Asilomar State Beach 
    19. Lover's Point 
    20. Shoreline Park 
    21. Macabee Beach 
    22. San Carlos Beach Park 
    23. Monterey State Beach ("Willows on the Bay") 
    24. Del Monte Beach 
    25.Monterey State Beach (Sand Dunes Drive unit) 
    26. Monterey State Beach (Seaside unit) 
    27. Marina State Beach 
    28. Salinas River State Beach 
    29. Moss Landing State Beach 
    30. Zmudowski State Beach 

MONTEREY COUNTY-- recent population of 421,400. Rated 3rd in state for agriculture with Lettuce, Broccoli, Strawberries. Scenic Highway 1 -Big Sur, Monterey Bay Aquarium & Cannery Row, Steinbeck Museum -Salinas, Pebble Beach Golf, Art Galleries, Shops and Mission -Carmel  MONTEREY  Created 1850. It derived its name from  the Spanish words monte and rey, and literally means "king of the forest." The bay was named by Sebastian Vizcaino in 1602, in honor of the Conde de Monterey, the Viceroy of New Spain.  www.co.monterey.ca.us

Monterey County Cities List:

BIG SUR
CARMEL
CARMEL VALLEY
DEL REY OAKS
GONZALES
GREENFIELD
KING CITY
MARINA
MONTEREY
PACIFIC GROVE
PEBBLE BEACH
SALINAS
SAND CITY
SEASIDE
SOLEDAD

California State Historical Landmarks in Monterey County

Properties of historical importance in California are currently designated as significant resources in three state registration programs: State Historical Landmarks, Points of Historical Interest, and the California Register of Historic Places.  Below is a list of the State Historical Landmarks for Monterey County.  This data is provided by the Office of Historic Preservation - California Department of Parks and Recreation and is also available in the California Historical Landmarks Book.
 

   NO. 1 CUSTOM HOUSE - Commodore John Drake Sloat raised the American flag over this building on July 7, 1846 to signal the passing of California from Mexican to American rule. Restored through the efforts of the Native Sons of the Golden West with the assistance of the people of California.
Location:  Monterey State Historic Park, Custom House Plaza, between Scott and Decatur Sts, Monterey
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  MONTEREY

   NO. 105 ROYAL PRESIDIO CHAPEL OF SAN CARLOS BORROMÉO - Established as a mission by Father Serra, June 3, 1770, this became the royal Presidio Chapel when the mission was moved to Carmel. The chapel was rebuilt with stone in 1791 and became the parish church in 1835, due to secularization. In a dilapidated condition in 1850, it was reconstructed and altered with money donated by Governor Pacheco in 1858.
Location:  550 Church St near Figueroa,
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  MONTEREY

 

  

NO. 106 LARKIN HOUSE - The adobe-and-wood Larkin House was built in 1835 by Thomas Oliver Larkin, a Yankee merchant who came to California in April 1832. Since Larkin was the only U.S. consul to California under Mexican rule, his home became the American consulate from 1844 to 1846, and it was also used as military headquarters by Kearny, Mason, and Sherman.
Location:  Monterey State Historic Park, SW corner of Jefferson and Calle Principal, Monterey
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  MONTEREY

   NO. 126 COLTON HALL - In this building met the convention that drafted the Constitution under which California was admitted to statehood on September 9, 1850. Robert Semple was chairman and William G. March secretary. The 48 delegates met from September 1 to October 15, 1849 on the upper floor, which ran the length of the main building. The stairway leading to the convention hall was in the rear of the building. Rev. Walter Colton, first American alcalde in Monterey, erected this building as a public hall and schoolhouse, he and Robert Semple established California's first American newspaper in Monterey on August 15, 1846.
Location:  Civic Center, Pacific St between Jefferson and Madison, Monterey
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  MONTEREY

   NO. 128 LANDING PLACE OF SEBASTIAN VIZCAINO AND FRAY JUNÍPERO SERRA - Having entered the harbor the previous evening with his three small vessels, Sebastian Vizcaino landed here on December 17, 1602. Mass was sung by three Carmelite friars and the country taken in the name of the King of Spain. On the same spot, Fray Junípero Serra landed from the San Antonio on June 3, 1770 to join Captain Gaspar de Portolá and Fray Juan Crespí, who had arrived from San Diego overland a week before, in founding the Mission San Carlos de Borroméo de Monterey and the Presidio of Monterey.
Location:  Monterey State Historic Park, SW corner of Artillery and Pacific Sts, Monterey

   NO. 135 MISSION SAN CARLOS BORROMÉO DE CARMELO - Mission San Carlos was established by Father Serra on June 3, 1770 at the Presidio of Monterey. Finding this location unsuitable, Serra moved the mission to Carmel Valley. In July 1771 he set to work constructing temporary buildings at the new site, and in December 1771 the mission was moved to its permanent location.
Location:  SW corner of Lasuen Dr and Rio Rd, Carmel
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  MONTEREY

   NO. 136 FIRST THEATER IN CALIFORNIA - This building was built about 1844 as a sailor's lodging house by Jack Swan. In 1848 it was commandeered by a group of mustered-out soldiers of Colonel Stevenson's regiment of New Yorkers looking for a place to put on plays and comedies. The theater afterward served as a whaling station, a lookout station having been added to the roof.
Location:  Monterey State Historic Park, SW corner of Scott and Pacific Sts, Monterey
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  MONTEREY

   NO. 232 MISSION SAN ANTONIO DE PADUA - Mission San Antonio de Padua, established on July 14, 1771, was the third in a series of missions founded in Alta California by Father Junípero Serra. Its picturesque setting in the valley of the San Antonio River within the Santa Lucia Range makes it one of today's most outstanding examples of early mission life.
Location:  Take Jolon Rd 26.5 mi from Hwy 101, to Hunter-Ligget Military Reservation, 23 mi W of King City
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  JOLON

   NO. 233 MISSION NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA SOLEDAD - This mission, founded October 9,1791 by Father Fermín Francisco de Lasuén, ministered to the Indians of the Salinas Valley. Governor José Joaquín de Arrillaga died here July 24, 1814 and was buried in the chapel. Prosperous in its early years, Soledad declined after 1825, but Father Vicente Francisco Sarría stayed on in poverty to serve the Indians until his death in 1835, when the mission was secularized. It was regranted to the Bishop of Monterey in 1859. In ruins after 1874, the chapel was reconstructed and dedicated under the auspices of the Native Daughters of the
Golden West, October 1955.
Location:  Fort Romie Rd (Co Rd G-17), 2.5 mi W of Soledad
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  SOLEDAD

   NO. 348 HOUSE OF GOVERNOR ALVARADO - A native of Monterey, Alvarado served as Governor of Mexican California from December 20, 1836 to December 20, 1842. During his administration the increasing influx of Americans and the Russian settlement at Fort Ross began to be regarded as serious problems.
Location:  494-498 Alvarado St, Monterey
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  MONTEREY

   NO. 351 VÁSQUEZ HOUSE - This adobe house was occupied by a sister of Tiburcio Vásquez, the colorful Monterey bandit of the 1870s.
Location:  546 Dutra St, Monterey
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  MONTEREY

   NO. 352 ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON HOUSE - In this house in 1879 lived Robert Louis Stevenson, essayist, storyteller, and poet whose contribution to literature delighted the world.
Location:  530 Houston St, Monterey
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  MONTEREY

   NO. 353 HOUSE OF FOUR WINDS - In the late 1830s, Thomas Oliver Larkin built the House of Four Winds, named for the weather vane in his garden. Tradition says the building was used as an early hall of records.
Location:  540 Calle Principal, Monterey
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  MONTEREY

   NO. 354 OLD PACIFIC HOUSE - Originally built as a hotel between 1835 and 1847 by James McKinley, the building was known as the Pacific House in 1850, when it housed a public tavern. In later years law offices, a newspaper, small stores, and a ballroom occupied the premises. In 1880 David Jacks bought the property, and in 1954 Miss Margaret Jacks made a gift of the building to the State of California.
Location:  Monterey State Historic Park, Custom House Plaza, Monterey
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  MONTEREY

   NO. 387 THE GLASS HOUSE, CASA MATERNA OF THE VALLEJOS - In the 1820s, Don Ignacio Vallejo built the Casa Materna on Bolsa de San Cayetano. Don Ignacio and Dona María Antonio Lugo y Vallejo had 13 children--eight daughters and five sons, one of whom was General Mariano Guadalupe
Vallejo.
Location:  On edge of bluff 1, 000 ft N of intersection of Hillcrest Rd and Salinas Rd, 2.5 mi SE of Watsonville

   NO. 494 RICHARDSON ADOBE - Los Coches Rancho (8,994.2 acres) was granted to María Josefa Soberanes de Richardson by the Mexican government in 1841. Her husband, William Brunner Richardson, a native of Baltimore, Maryland, built the adobe house here in 1843, and planted the nearby locust trees in 1846. This was the site of Captain John C. Frémont's encampment in 1846 and 1847, the adobe was later used as a stage station and post office. It was donated to the State of California in 1958 by Margaret Jacks.
Location:  Los Coches Rancho Wayside Campground, NW corner of State Hwy 101 (P.M. 60.5) and Arroyo Seco Rd, 1.5 mi S of Soledad
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  SOLEDAD

   NO. 532 CASA DE ORO - In the 1850s this building was a general merchandise store operated by Joseph Boston & Co. In later years it was called Casa de Oro because of the unverified story that it had been a gold depository.
Location:  Monterey State Historic Park, SW corner of Olivier and Scott, Monterey
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  MONTEREY

   NO. 561 SCHRAMSBERG - Founded in 1862 by Jacob Schram, this was the first hillside winery of the Napa Valley. Robert Louis Stevenson, visiting here in 1880, devoted a chapter of his 'Silverado Squatters' to Schramsberg and its wines, Ambrose Bierce and Lilly Hitchcock Coit were other cherished friends. The original house and winery have been excellently preserved.
Location:  End of Schramsberg Rd, on Hwy 29, 3.1 mi S of Calistoga

   NO. 651 SITE OF THE BATTLE OF NATIVIDAD - Combined American forces under Captains Charles D. Burrass (or Burroughs) and Bluford K. Thompson clashed with Comandante Manuel de Jesús Castro's Californians in this vicinity on November 16, 1846. Casualties on each side consisted of several men killed and wounded. The Americans saved a large herd of horses for Lt. Col. John C. Frémont, who then later proceeded south to participate in the Armistice at Cahuenga in January 1847.
Location:  SW corner of San Juan Grade (P.M. 4.9) and Crazy Horse Canyon Rd, 5.0 mi NE of Salinas

   NO. 712 SOBERANES ADOBE - Don José Estrada, who built this adobe in 1830, sold the property to Don Feliciano Soberanes. The adobe was the home of the Soberanes family from 1860 until 1922, when Mr. and Mrs. William O'Donnell acquired the property. Mrs. O'Donnell gave the adobe to the State in 1953.
Location:  Monterey State Historic Park, 336 Pacific St, Monterey
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  MONTEREY

   NO. 713 GUTIÉRREZ ADOBE - In 1841 the municipality of Monterey granted a lot to Joaquín Gutiérrez where he and his wife, Josefa, built an adobe home. The house has been donated to the State by the Monterey Foundation.
Location:  Monterey State Historic Park, 590 Calle Principal, Monterey
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  MONTEREY

   NO. 839 CHAUTAUQUA HALL - The first Chautauqua in the West was organized at Pacific Grove in June 1879 for the presentation of 'moral attractions' and 'the highest grade of concerts and entertainments.' Known worldwide as 'Chautauqua-by-the-Sea,' it made Pacific Grove an unequaled cultural center.
Location:  SW corner of 16th St and Central Ave, Pacific Grove

   NO. 870 JOSÉ EUSEBIO BORONDA ADOBE CASA - Built between 1844 and 1848 by José Eusebio Boronda, this is an outstanding example of a Mexican-era rancho adobe. Virtually unaltered since its construction, it shows many features of the 'Monterey Colonial' style.
Location:  Boronda Adobe Historic Center, 333 Boronda Rd at W Laurel Dr, Salinas
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  SALINAS

   NO. 934 TEMPORARY DETENTION CAMPS FOR JAPANESE AMERICANS-SALINAS ASSEMBLY CENTER - This monument is dedicated to the 3,586 Monterey Bay area residents of Japanese ancestry, most of whom were American citizens, temporarily confined in the Salinas Rodeo Grounds during World War II, from April to July 1942. They were detained without charges, trial, or establishment of guilt before being incarcerated in permanent camps, mostly at Poston, Arizona. May such injustice and humiliation never recur.
Location:  Sherwood Gardens Rodeo Grounds, Sherwood Hall Community Center 940 N Main St, Salinas

   NO. 951 LIGHT STATIONS OF CALIFORNIA (THEMATIC), POINT SUR LIGHT STATION - Spanish explorers and later New England hide and tallow traders found the Big Sur coastline a great hazard. Heavy fogs and extreme winds caused the wreck of many vessels on this coast. The gold rush of 1849 dramatically increased coastal shipping. A lighthouse was clearly needed. President Andrew Johnson signed the Executive Order which reserved the site for lighthouse purposes in 1866. Construction began in 1887 and the lamp was lit on August 1, 1889.
Location:  St Hwy 1, 23 mi S of Monterey and 3 mi N of Andrew Molera St Pk