Santa Cruz

Beach Train
Elkhorn Slough
Fluorescent Car
Naturist Policy
Santa Cruz Beach Board Walk
Santa Cruz Cliffs
Santa Cruz Surf Statue

Sunset Santa Cruz

Farmer's Market
Surf City Classic Woodies on the Wharf

Santa Cruz Hotels

Greyhound Rock
Henry Cowell Redwoods
Natural Bridges SB
New Brighton SB
Opal Cliffs -
Privates Beach
Sand Hill Bluff
Santa Cruz
Scotts Valley
Seabright Beach
Seacliff State Beach
Waddell Beach
Walton Lighthouse

California State Historical Landmarks - Santa Cruz County

Properties of historical importance in California are currently designated as significant resources in three state registration programss: State Historical Landmarks, Points of Historical Interest, and the California Register of Historic Places.  Below is a list of the State Historical Landmarks for Santa Cruz County.  This data is provided by the Office of Historic Preservation - California Department of Parks and Recreation and is also available in the California Historical Landmarks Book.

   NO. 342 SITE OF MISSION SANTA CRUZ - Mision la Exaltación de la Santa Cruz, the 12th Franciscan Mission, was consecrated by Father Fermín Lasuén in August 1791. In 1793 the adobe church was built where the Holy Cross Catholic Church is now located. The mission was damaged by several earthquakes and finally collapsed in 1857. Plaza Park is located at the center of the mission complex which contained 32 buildings at the time of its secularization in 1834, the last building remains on School Street.
Location:  Plaza Park, NE corner of Mission and Emmet Sts, Santa Cruz

   NO. 449 GLENWOOD - This historic town was founded by Charles C. Martin, who came around the Horn in 1847, and his wife, Hannah Carver Martin, who crossed the Isthmus. Martin first homesteaded the area in 1851 and operated a tollgate and station for stagecoaches crossing the mountains. Later he developed a lumber mill, winery, store, and the Glenwood Resort Hotel.
Location:  4171 Glenwood Dr, 0.4 mi N of Glenwood cutoff rd (Martin Rd), NE of Scotts Valley

   NO. 469 SITE OF CENTER OF VILLA DE BRANCIFORTE - These school grounds were the center of Villa de Branciforte, founded in 1797 by Governor Diego de Borica of California on orders from Spain through Viceroy Branciforte in Mexico. The settlement existed as a separate township until 1905, when it was annexed to the city of Santa Cruz.
Location:  SW corner of Water and Branciforte, Santa Cruz

   NO. 583 FELTON COVERED BRIDGE - Built in 1892-93 and believed to be the tallest covered bridge in the country, it stood as the only entry to Felton for 45 years. In 1937 it was retired from active service to become a pedestrian bridge and figured prominently in many films of that period. After suffering damage in the winter storms of 1982, it was restored to its original elegance in 1987 using native materials and local talent.
Location:  Covered Bridge Rd and Graham Hill Rd, Felton
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  FELTON

   NO. 827 BIG BASIN REDWOODS STATE PARK - A group of conservationists led by Andrew P. Hill camped at the base of Slippery Rock on May 15, 1900 and formed the Sempervirens Club to preserve the redwoods of Big Basin. Their efforts resulted in deeding 3,500 acres of primeval forest to the State on September 20, 1902 to mark the beginning of the California State Park System.
Location:  Slippery Rock Memorial, Big Basin Redwoods State Park, State Hwy 236 (P.M. 8.7), Big Basin

   NO. 860 SUPERINTENDENT'S OFFICE - This building is Capitola's oldest commercial structure. It served as head quarters for F. A. Hihn's operations from approximately 1883 to 1919, when he owned and developed what was then known as 'Camp Capitola' into the first seaside resort in the state.
Location:  201 Monterey Ave, Capitola

   NO. 983 SANTA CRUZ BEACH BOARDWALK - A local landmark since 1907, this boardwalk was one of the first amusement parks in California. It is now the only oceanside amusement park operating on the West Coast. The boardwalk is the site of two rare attractions, the 1911 carousel and the 1924 Giant Dipper roller coaster. Both were manufactured by members of the Looff family, some of the nation's earliest and most prominent makers of amusement rides.
Location:  400 Beach St, Santa Cruz

   NO. 998 RANCHO SAN ANDRÉS CASTRO ADOBE - The Castro Adobe is an outstanding example of Monterey Colonial architectural styling. The adobe functioned as a regional social center due to the importance of its location as the governing seat of the Castro family rural empire, which reached across seven land grants to include over a quarter of a million acres.
Location:  184 Old Adobe Rd, Watsonville
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name:  WATSONVILLE WEST