Charter Communications (Cable Television) 

                    129-A Bridge Street, Arroyo Grande 

                    -or- Post Office Box 8126, San Luis Obispo, CA 93403

                                                                489-2653

                    South County Sanitary (Trash and Recycling Services) 

                    874 Grand Ave

                                                                489-4246

                    Southern California Gas 

                                                                1-800-427-2200

                    Pacific Gas & Electric 

                                                                1-800-743-5000

Mentone Basin Park tennis court (corner of 14th Street and Trouville

                       Avenue).

http://www.grover.org/grover.htm The Train

Station is an important and positive step in the City's Economic Development efforts. 

It was D.W. (as in Dwight William) Grover, legend goes,

who first recognized the potential of the area that is now

Grover Beach. On August 1, 1887, he filed plans at the San Luis Obispo County Court

House and founded what would become the City of Grover City. 

The 35-year old lumber man from Santa Cruz is said to have paid $22,982.20 in gold to John

Michael Price, the founder of Pismo Beach. Mr. Grover thus founded The Town of Grover

and he had a vision of a community which included a hotel and railroad station near the

beach and promoted his town as "the place where the tide lands and the rails meet". 

In the 1890's, Mr. Grover attempted to have a train station built in the Town of Grover, in

order to attract tourists and investors. Unfortunately for the Town of Grover, Southern

Pacific constructed the sought after station in nearby Oceano, an unincorporated town in

San Luis Obispo County. 

D.W. Grover laid out streets in a grid pattern, naming them for popular beaches of the time

and set aside land for a train depot, a hotel and a city park, hoping to foster commercial

growth. A land auction on August 1, 1887 drew more than 1,000 people to look and

perhaps buy. Grover and his partner, George Gates, promoted Grover City as the

"grandest summer and winter seaside resort on the Pacific Coast". Over the ensuing

years, D.W. Grover made numerous attempts at making his city a reality and the cause of

the city bearing his name would be picked up by other men. 

The seeds of development didn't flourish as planned until many years later when Horace

V. Bagwell came north in 1935 and bought about 1100 acres. He advertised Grover City as

the "home of the average man", with land prices in the working man's range. Word began

to spread and so did development. In the mid-1940's, the first store opened followed by

the first post office. 1949 saw the Fairgrove Fire District and the Grover City Water District

formed and the early 1950's brought a building boom. 

The little town grew in numbers and progressed in development until in 1959 the majority

of residents wanted to make the "city" a reality. An incorporation election was held and

on December 21, 1959 found 636 of 1,900 registered voters in favor of and 380 against

making the Town of Grover a city. 

The first Mayor of the new Grover City was Fay Keen and the City Council met for the

first time on December 28, 1959 at the Fire House at Ninth Street and Ramona Avenue,

where the first City Hall would be located. 

As the city boundaries were laid out shortly after incorporation, the groundwork was also

laid for more growth and development. The city grew steadily in the decades to follow,

and in the mid-1970's, development took off as vacant lots were replaced with restaurants,

markets and residences. 

A point of argument in 1959, according to newspaper accounts of the time, was whether

naming the city the City of Grover City was redundant. Some moved for a new, more

ocean-oriented name. In 1992, the question was revisited when city residents voted 2,275

to 2,179 to turn Grover City into Grover Beach, reaffirming the Grover City City Council's

vote to change the name by Ordinance. 

Since D.W. Grover first envisioned a city through the tall weeds, the city that bears his

name has grown and changed with the times. The City now has a population of 12,122

residents (as of January, 1996) and Mr. Grover's dream of a train station became a reality in

November, 1996 when Amtrak began rail service with two daily stops at a newly

constructed train station at 150 Grand Avenue at Pacific Coast Highway. 

Some say D.W. Grover was just a developer who came in to strike a fortune. There were

others who lent a hand along the path to development. But somewhere along the line, a

city was born! 

    

 Grover Beach is home to approximately 11,500 people. It was

founded in 1887 when D. W. Grover sold off a subdivision and started the town. Although Grover Beach receives over

1 Million visitors a year, it has substantial amounts of land designated for future industrial and commercial use.

Just a mile to the South, and as the name implies, Oceano is situated on a wide expanse of beach. It features a lively

Melodrama, beach camping and recreational activities. Many of the approximately 6,500 permanent residents are

employed in agribusiness and related services.

Although not considered part of the "Five Cities" by the locals, the 10,000 person unincorporated area of Nipomo, about

five miles from the South County line, is a bedroom community to both Santa Maria and Northern San Luis County.

Nipomo provides a wonderful country-like atmosphere, Black Lake Golf Course, and many up-scale housing

developments that have attracted people of all ages.