hot deals

Discount Disneyland Tickets


Catalina Flyer


 

Location

http://www.grover.org/grover.htm

The City of Grover Beach covers 2.25 square miles and is located along the beautiful Central Coast
of California, 92 miles north of Santa Barbara and 150 miles south of Monterey. Grover Beach
provides for a unique quality of life for its 12,200 residents and draws tourists with its moderate
coastal climate, drive-on beach, and diverse recreational opportunities.

Activities such as dune hiking, fishing, clamming, golfing, horseback riding, wine tasting and off-road
vehicle riding are just some of the activities offered in and around Grover Beach.

The City is very proud of the newly constructed Multimodal Facility (train station) which is located
at 150 Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway). Amtrak currently provides rail service with two daily
stops and also provides two daily round trips of San Diegan connecting buses to destinations in San
Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego Counties. The Train
Station is an important and positive step in the City's Economic Development efforts.

It was D.W. (as in Dwight William) Grover, legend goes,
who first recognized the potential of the area that is now
Grover Beach. On August 1, 1887, he filed plans at the San Luis Obispo County Court
House and founded what would become the City of Grover City.

The 35-year old lumber man from Santa Cruz is said to have paid $22,982.20 in gold to John
Michael Price, the founder of Pismo Beach. Mr. Grover thus founded The Town of Grover
and he had a vision of a community which included a hotel and railroad station near the
beach and promoted his town as "the place where the tide lands and the rails meet".

In the 1890's, Mr. Grover attempted to have a train station built in the Town of Grover, in
order to attract tourists and investors. Unfortunately for the Town of Grover, Southern
Pacific constructed the sought after station in nearby Oceano, an unincorporated town in
San Luis Obispo County.

D.W. Grover laid out streets in a grid pattern, naming them for popular beaches of the time
and set aside land for a train depot, a hotel and a city park, hoping to foster commercial
growth. A land auction on August 1, 1887 drew more than 1,000 people to look and
perhaps buy. Grover and his partner, George Gates, promoted Grover City as the
"grandest summer and winter seaside resort on the Pacific Coast". Over the ensuing
years, D.W. Grover made numerous attempts at making his city a reality and the cause of
the city bearing his name would be picked up by other men.

The seeds of development didn't flourish as planned until many years later when Horace
V. Bagwell came north in 1935 and bought about 1100 acres. He advertised Grover City as
the "home of the average man", with land prices in the working man's range. Word began
to spread and so did development. In the mid-1940's, the first store opened followed by
the first post office. 1949 saw the Fairgrove Fire District and the Grover City Water District
formed and the early 1950's brought a building boom.

The little town grew in numbers and progressed in development until in 1959 the majority
of residents wanted to make the "city" a reality. An incorporation election was held and
on December 21, 1959 found 636 of 1,900 registered voters in favor of and 380 against
making the Town of Grover a city.

The first Mayor of the new Grover City was Fay Keen and the City Council met for the
first time on December 28, 1959 at the Fire House at Ninth Street and Ramona Avenue,
where the first City Hall would be located.

As the city boundaries were laid out shortly after incorporation, the groundwork was also
laid for more growth and development. The city grew steadily in the decades to follow,
and in the mid-1970's, development took off as vacant lots were replaced with restaurants,
markets and residences.

A point of argument in 1959, according to newspaper accounts of the time, was whether
naming the city the City of Grover City was redundant. Some moved for a new, more
ocean-oriented name. In 1992, the question was revisited when city residents voted 2,275
to 2,179 to turn Grover City into Grover Beach, reaffirming the Grover City City Council's
vote to change the name by Ordinance.

Since D.W. Grover first envisioned a city through the tall weeds, the city that bears his
name has grown and changed with the times. The City now has a population of 12,122
residents (as of January, 1996) and Mr. Grover's dream of a train station became a reality in
November, 1996 when Amtrak began rail service with two daily stops at a newly
constructed train station at 150 Grand Avenue at Pacific Coast Highway.

Some say D.W. Grover was just a developer who came in to strike a fortune. There were
others who lent a hand along the path to development. But somewhere along the line, a
city was born!