hot deals

Discount Disneyland Tickets

Catalina Flyer


Costa Mesa the Diego Sepulveda Adobe Estancia  Map
1900 Adams, Costa Mesa   949-631-5918

<> -<> -<>- <> -<> -<> -<>- <> -<> -<> -<>- <> 


. California Historical Landmark No. 227


Located on the northeast side of  Adams between Brookhurst and Harbor Boulevard Owned by the Segerstrom family from 1940 to 1963, the Diego Sepulveda Adobe


Estancia and a surrounding five-acre site were given to the City of Costa Mesa as a memorial to the early settlers of the area. It was recently restored and transformed by the City into a museum at 1900 Adams Avenue.On a bluff overlooking the present day cities of Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley and Huntington Beach, adobe "Estancia" was constructed some time between 1820 and 1823. Built by missionaries as a way-station for the vaqueros who tended herds from Mission San Juan Capistrano, it later became the home of Don Diego Sepulveda. The property changed hands many times until local land owners, the Segerstrom family, acquired it in 1940. They gave the property to the City of Costa Mesa in 1963, and although only a tiny portion of the original adobe remains, every effort was made to reconstruct and capture what once stood on the exact spot it occupies today.  Adobe Page - BACK


The adobe's three rooms reflect the history of the property with artifacts on display from four distinct periods: Indian, Mission, Spanish and Victorian. A mastodon skeleton which was discovered on the property not long ago, takes guests back further in time.  Who would know that the lush, green lawns of a public park surrounding the building hold so many buried treasures? 


Open by appointment, you must call the Costa Mesa Historical Society to arrange a tour of the adobe..  They can be reached at 949-631-5918. Their mailing address is:  P.O. Box 1764, Costa Mesa, California 92628 U.S.


Towering trees which surround the building also provide generous shade for picnics. A barbecue pit and picnic tables make this a perfect spot to visit and enjoy. I called the City of Costa Mesa Parks and Recreation Department, asking about arrangements for those interested in holding special events such as weddings at the Adobe..  They said the Adobe was small and would only serve well as a dressing area for an outdoor wedding. They said a fee is charged to reserve the park area so it is possible to hold special events here, apparently. 


-Costa Mesa, A Brief History-

. In 1810, this same area was a part of the Spanish land grant of Santiago Del Santa Ana made to Jose Antonio Yorba. By 1880, settlers had begun buying portions of the rancho from Yorba's heirs and in the same decade established the town of Fairview. A school house and church were built near the present intersection of harbor and Adams, and a 25-room hotel accommodated visitors to the nearby hot sulfur springs. But in early 1889, a storm washed out the railroad and brought financial disaster to the community which soon reverted to a farming country.


By this time, the little town of Harper, named after a nearby rancher, had emerged on a siding of the Santa Ana and Newport Railroad. Its first business, Ozmen's General Store, stood on the corner of Newport and 18th Streets and contained the City's first post office, established in 1909. On May 11, 1920, Harper officially changed its name to Costa Mesa, which means coastal tableland in Spanish, and continued as an agricultural community, growing sweet potatoes, corn, tomatoes, strawberries, and apples.


Building and oil drilling industries began to bring growth to the City when the depression hit Southern California. Industries collapsed and the local bank closed. More disaster followed when the 1933 earthquake shook the town, damaging businesses and the Main School. But the school was soon rebuilt and continued in operation as the Clara McNally School. These buildings are now used for school administrative and service purposes.


 World War II brought many thousands of people to the area for training at the Santa Ana Army Air Base, located on what is now the Orange County Fairgrounds, Orange Coast College, and the present site of the Civic Center. When the war ended, many of these men returned with their families to begin the population boom which continues today.

On June 29, 1953, the City was incorporated and City Council-Manager form of government was chosen. The new City had an area of 3.5 square miles and a population of 16,840. Within 35 years, by 1988, the population had risen to 90,000 and the area to 17 square miles.


Today, Costa Mesa is a major commercial and industrial center of Orange County. The City, which formally adopted the slogan "The City of the Arts in late 1984, is home to a regional symphony orchestra and the South Coast Repertory Theater. Ground was broken in 1983 for the Orange County Performing Arts Center. This center includes a 3,000 seat facility which was completed in 1985, and a 1,000 seat auditorium slated for future development. 


-Information from: the City of Costa Mesa, California and Costa Mesa Historical Society


Related links: 
Mission San Juan Capistrano, 21 California Missions
Newland House in Huntington Beach

Airports serving Costa Mesa Diego Sepulveda Adobe Estancia
OC Fairgrounds OC Performing Arts Center
South Coast Plaza Orange County Golf