SONOMA COUNTY
BODEGA BAY
 

Bodega Bay Hotels

 

SONOMA COUNTY
BODEGA BAY
COTATI
FORT ROSS
MARSHALL
MONTE RIO
PETALUMA
SANTA ROSA
SEA RANCH
SEBASTOPOL
SONOMA
 

BODEGA

 

 

 

This thriving village derives its name from the port of Bodega, near which it is situated, and the port from its discoverer, Juan Francisco de la Bodega. Bodega is on a portion of the tract farmed by the Russians, and had a number of excellent houses upon it, built by them. After the departure of the Russians the land was granted to Captain Stephen Smith, who was the first American settler in that part of the county. Captain Smith owned a small vessel called the Fayaway, which he run between the Port of Bodega and San Francisco; in '49, fare was the moderate sum of fourteen dollars from Bodega to San Francisco, on the Fayaway.

 

 

The town of Bodega, near the Smith homestead, took its start in 1853. A man named Robinson started a saloon; Hughes, a blacksmith shop. Hughes and a man named Bowman built the first hotel, which was afterwards burned. Donald McDonald and Rositer Bros. were the first merchants in the town of Bodega. The oldest settlers in the neighborhood were James Watson, ex-Sheriff Potter, Mr. Higler and J. L. Springer. The town is now quite a prosperous place. It is situated in the center of a rich dairy country. It has three churches and a school-house built at a cost of five thousand dollars. There are one hundred and twenty-five children in the district, and two teachers are employed. There is also in the town a Masonic, Odd Fellows and Good Templars' Lodge. There are three stores, one shoemaker, one blacksmith and wagon shop, one hotel and two private boarding-houses, one livery stable, two physicians, and one butcher-shop. J. L. Springer is justice of the peace and postmaster. The population of the town is about two hundred and fifty.