Soledad is located along the Camino Real (Kings Highway) where
Spanish, who established the missions in
California, created a route from south at
San Diego to north of San Francisco.21
missions were built along this road, each
approximately a day's walk from the next.
Certainly one of the loveliest, rural
missions, Soledad Mission is set amongst the
beautiful hills and mountain range that
separates this fertile Monterey County
valley from the Big Sur coast.
Celebrations such as the annual Mission Nuestra Senora
de Soledad Grape Stomp Festival and BBQ with Mariachi Bands in October
and Soledad Community Parade and Fiesta in June provide opportunities for
tourists to enjoy the country charm and colorful heritage of music, dance
and food with a flair, uniquely prepared and served to local tastes..
Out at the mission and in parks throughout Central California, you'll notice
giant, stone barbecue pits that are sometimes 10 feet in length, large
enough to fan the flames of an oak fire where beef is cooked and served
to an entire ranch, community or town.
mission is located at 6641 Fort Romie Road.
The majority of the approximately
80% Hispanic citizens continue to say prayer in the tradition of the padres
and freres who staked claim to the region in the name of Spain over 230
While special events last only a day or two and might
not be thre when you pass through the region, wine tasting is available
nearly every day at several of Soledad's dozen or so wineries that include:
Bocage, Chalone Vineyard, Cobblestone Vineyards, Estancia Estates, Hahn
Estates, Hess Select, Kendall-Jackson, Mirassou Vineyard, Paraiso Springs
Vineyard, Pavona Wines, Robert Mondavi, Smith & Hook and Wente Brothers
Winery in Arroyo Seco. See Wine List, Monterey County.
Wineries with tasting rooms nearby can be found in cities such as Gonzales,
Soledad is situated in the heart of the 90-mile-long Salinas
Valley, nestled between the Santa Lucia mountains with their striking Big
Sur coast to the west and the chaparral-covered Gabilan Mountains with
famed Pinnacles National Monument to the east. Along the banks of the Salinas
River, approximately 25 miles from the Pacific coast, the city is also
situated near Highway 101 and is bordered by Salinas and King City.
Midway between the Sierra de Salinas and Gabilan Mountain Ranges, communities
that include Soledad, make up the south county area of Monterey.
How modern day Soledad began - Two small hotels, a feed
lot, post office and a store marked the beginnings of today's Soledad in
1874. In 1886, land was subdivided into lots and sold by its owners,
the Munras family. As the town took shape, Southern Pacific Railroad began
laying rails and providing service to the area. Vital to the rapid
transport of perishable items that had to get to market quickly, Soledad
now could expand its economic base, reaching out to the world with its
Though farming is the primary industry, the California
Department of Corrections' Soledad Training Facility has been around for
well over 50 years. Located three miles north of the City until 1990,
it was annexed and is expanding, with the addition of the Salinas Valley
State Prison. This long time neighbor is seen for its positive benefits,
providing jobs and services and making Soledad the safest city in Monterey
County. It is even safer that the sleepy hollow of Pacific Grove where
crime is almost nonexistent, according to the Soledad Mission Chamber of
Here are some things to do, places to go and contacts
to help you in Soledad, California, the Small Town with a Large Heart:
NO. 233 MISSION NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA SOLEDAD - This
mission, founded October 9,1791 by Father Fermín Francisco de Lasuén,
ministered to the Indians of the Salinas Valley. Governor José Joaquín
de Arrillaga died here July 24, 1814 and was buried in the chapel. Prosperous
in its early years, Soledad declined after 1825, but Father Vicente Francisco Sarría stayed
on in poverty to serve the Indians until his death in 1835, when the mission
was secularized. It was regranted to the Bishop of Monterey in 1859. In ruins after 1874, the
chapel was reconstructed and dedicated under the auspices of the Native
Daughters of the
Golden West, October 1955.
Location: Fort Romie Rd (Co Rd G-17), 2.5 mi W of Soledad
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: SOLEDAD
Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad - Mission
Nuestra Señora Dolorosísima de la Soledad, thirteenth in
the chain of Alta California missions, was established on October 9, 1791,
at the site of an Esselen Indian village The Soledad Mission is very
quiet and peaceful. It maintains imposing ruins of the early mission, restored
chapel and a garden. Located South of Soledad off Highway 101, take Arroyo
Seco Road exit. Continue to Fort Romie Road making a right-hand turn. Mission
Nuestra Senora de la Soledad is approximately 1.3 miles in on Fort Romie
Road. The Mission is one of very few that continues as both a Historical
landmark and operated as a Church under the auspices of the Catholic Church.
Paso Robles < Soledad >
Soledad California and
The City of Soledad, which means
"solitude" was named after the historic Mission Nuestra Señora
de la Soledad.