Red Car Museum inside an
authentic Pacific Electric Right
of Way. Car No. 1734 is a rare Pacific Electric tower car built in 1925. It
was once a roving machine shop sent out to troubleshoot problems along the
40-mile Pacific Electric LA-Newport Line. The Red Car in Seal Beach is not a
large museum by any means. Nevertheless, we rank it as one of our favorite
Saturday afternoon haunts along with Rancho Los Alamitos and Los Cerritos in
Long Beach. In the Red Car, guests are invited to sit and watch a video
documenting the Red Car ride would have been like during its operations
between 1904 and 1950s or close to it.
The volunteer staff and curator or
outstanding in their enthusiasm and willingness to share time and stories,
explain memorabilia and and help guests. Some of the interesting signs,
tickets, pins, pictures and other items in the museum are donated from folks
who have a collection of items relevant to the museum such as actual
tickets, hats, pins, etc.
From match folders, poker chips, a bingo
set and cards that were used at the Airport Club in Seal Beach, known later
as Glider Inn and now Mahe, to sterling silver service from the Jewell Cafe
that stood at the foot of the Seal Beach Pier near the amusement rides and
attractions, the collectible items are interesting enough to draw in the
guest to discover that such things existed..
Who could have known that Seal Beach once
enjoyed an incredible beachfront amusement park like its neighbor, Long
Beach with its Pike? Seal Beach was once a cosmopolitan place that featured
thrills, rides, a solid vacation influx from Los Angeles and offshore rum
runner boats where gambling took place. It makes life today in Seal
Beach appear kind of sleepy and not at all like what once existed.
Visit the Red Car Museum on the old Pacific Electric Right of Way. Car No. 1734 is a rare Pacific Electric tower car built in 1925 which
serves as the museum headquarters. It was once a roving machine shop sent
out to troubleshoot problems along the 40-mile Pacific Electric LA-Newport
Line. A center tower was used for repairs and maintenance on the overhead
lines. It operated for almost 50 years until 1950.
The museum displays photographs of early Seal Beach, sea shells and
Indian artifacts collected locally. It also has reference
library of local history with detailed regional maps. Open the second and
fourth Saturdays from Noon to 3 p.m., the museum provides the most
comprehensive look into the history of Seal Beach. Donations are accepted.
Call: (562) 683-1874.
Location: Electric Avenue near Main St., next to Mary Wilson Library.