Several major rock structures mark the location of Point
Piedras Blancas at the entrance to San Simeon Bay on Californiaa's central coast.
Contained in this scenic landscape is Piedras Blancas Light Station, lighting the rugged, rocky coast
for over 100 years. Established in 1875 and built to fill the gap
between the lighthouses at Point Conception and Point Pinos,
a First Order Bivalve Fresnel lens was originally installed in the light station
but was removed in 1949 due to storm damage. It currently stands on display in
the Pinederado Park in Cambria.
The tower that housed the lens stood 115 tall when built. A
fog signal and one story residence made of brick were added in 1906. Closed to
the public for many years, the Bureau of Land Management took over operations in
2001 and began restoration and offered the first public tour in 128 years on
June 28, 2003. Public tours were offered on a trial bases and originated from
the Hearst Castle Visitor Center where visitors parked their vehicles and
boarded a bus to the light station. Located on a sharp curve of Highway 1 north
of the elephant seal vista point, the access road to the light station crosses a
narrow strip of the Hearst Ranch, thus requiring right-of-way negotiations.
Call for information: (805) 927-2968.
National Register Reference #91001095