10 Apr, 2010
Big Sunday Takes on Big Projects in California
Over 350 projects and events all over the greater LA area during the first weekend of May (May 1 & 2) are the big idea of a non-profit group that dedicates itself to community service and community building. Big Sunday is the name of this agency and here’s what they have in store:
City Survey: Downtown Mini-Garden Project in Downtown Los Angeles will survey and identify underutilized portions of surface parking lots, leftover space alongside buildings, in the public right-of-way, and other “interstitial” spaces to create a neighborhood map resource for the community in hopes of planting gardens. Using native, drought-tolerant plants, each transformation will be small in scale but cumulatively will help transform Downtown Los Angeles into a more livable, sustainable urban environment.
- Help the Hungry at the L.A. Regional Food Bank - Visit the L.A. Regional Food Bank to help sort, stock, and pack thousands of pounds of food donations–and anything else they need to help them help others from being hungry.
- Griffith Park Fern Canyon Trail Gardening in Los Feliz at the Children’s Nature Institute needs restoration work in a butterfly garden. Come on out for weeding, mulching, watering, planting, digging, plant marking, rock gathering, and raking. The trail was damaged by fire in 2007 and a garden will enable children to explore a habitat that includes native flora and attracts local fauna, in particular butterflies.
- Build a Labyrinth of Recycled Materials in Santa Barbara. Help a Fine Arts student at UCSB collect plastic bottles and bags, and wire coat-hangers, and then help assemble them into a labyrinth on Big Sunday Weekend!
- Restore a Trashed Creek in Chino. Help restore this wild waterway along with the Inland Empire Waterkeeper. Mill Creek is a resource for thousands in several counties (including Orange County) who drink its water!
- Clean a Creek in Calabasas during a city-wide cleanup effort at the beautiful Las Virgenes Creek. Volunteers of all ages are wanted and needed to help pick up trash and clear brush.
Are you ready to get busy? Bigsunday.org has your assignment waiting for you.