24 Nov, 2009
Project Joy Travels from Orange County, CA to Tijuana, Mexico
Project Joy’s Shannon Ryan and Susan VanderWal of Cypress Church display Project Joy Christmas gifts to be delivered to children in Mexico in top photo.
It’s hard to imagine being so poor that your kids don’t get toys or gifts for Christmas. But believe it or not, incredible poverty exists in California and just beyond its border in Mexico. Toys for Tots at Knott’s Berry Farm and other donation locations is a popular fundraising event to provide gifts to kids for the holidays. Likewise, a group of surfers called The Longboard Crew refurbish used bicycles and take them in trucks to a village in Mexico for kids who often have never owned a bike.
If you want to provide joy, check out Project Joy at Cypress Church in Cypress, Calif. The church invites the community to participate in its project.
Here’s the scoop:
- Saturday, December 5th, members of the Cypress Church congregation will travel to the Tijuana, Mexico area to deliver Christmas gifts to needy children as part of Project Joy.
- Shoebox size gift packages are lovingly donated and prepared by Christian families in the Cypress area.
- They may be the only presents these disadvantaged children in Mexico will receive during the holidays.
- A Christmas program in the village includes the story of the birth of Jesus to virgin Mary.
- Project Joy is a cooperative effort between Cypress Church and Yugo Ministries.
- The community is invited to participate in this project by donating gifts. Information is available from Cindy Pearson by email at email@example.com.
There will be a children’s Christmas musical, “The Best Christmas Present Ever,” at Cypress Church on December 13th at 6:00 p.m. The High School and Junior High students will present “Christmas and the Cross” on December 15th at 7:15 p.m. There will be a special Christmas concert entitled “Glory in the Highest” on December 20th. On Christmas Eve the public is invited to candlelight worship at 4:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
The Cypress Church campus is located at 6143 Ball Road just east of Valley View. Sunday worship services are at 8:45 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. c Cypress Church, 6143 Ball Road, Cypress, CA 90630. Call: (714) 952-3001. cypresschurch.net.