|Pictured above are some of
the officers riding on horseback, patrolling Farnsworth Park.
Contracted for the city police protection, their approach is very
hands-on and community friendly. A free summer concert at the park,
an historic church and an Altadena store are also shown.
Altadena, California- Altadena is a beautiful community that's an
unincorporated area of Los Angeles County. Located next to Pasadena,
it gets a portion of its name and a portion of its services from its
neighbor to the south. Contracting services such as police from the
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, Altadena has some schools
to serve its community and also utilizes the public school system of
Pasadena for its upper grade students.
When visiting Altadena, nature
inspires you in a community close to the business centers of Los
Angeles. As you drive along Lake Street in Altadena,
you may notice fantastic architecture, a blend of old and new
buildings and shops, and the towering San Gabriel mountains and
Angeles National Forest that line the community's northern edge
with a few houses rising into the lower slopes of those mountains.
Altadena is approx. 14 miles
from Los Angeles Civic Center. Bordered by the Sierra Madre
Mountains and the Angeles National Forest to the north, the Arroyo
Seco and City of Pasadena on the south and west, and Eaton Canyon on
the East. In addition to the summer concerts,, The name Altadena
derives from the Spanish alta, meaning "upper," and -dena from
What's especially enjoyable
and known amongst its residents is the incredible musical talent
that fills this community. Accessing and showcasing that, the summer
concert series held at Farnsworth Park with free admission features
some of the world's great musicians who find commercial success in
L.A., Burbank and at the Disney Studios. Talents such as Valarie
King, Hubert Laws, Booker T. White, Clayton brothers of big band
fame, The Platters and many share their skills as expert musicians
and composers at an annual summer series sponsored by the L.A.
County Sheriff's Department, Altadena division. There's a St. Marks
Jazz Festival, as well, but when we called the St. Mark's Church to
ask about it, we did not hear back.
In the evening as you look
from the heights of Lake Street toward L.A, youu're afforded
spectacular twinkling lights views of the Los Angeles basin.
Altadena, the hidden gem in the hills, enjoys drier weather than its
beach counterparts and as night falls, the woodsy fragrance of the
mountains sweeps the air with a special scent that you can't help
but breathe deep and enjoy. Altadena elevation ranges from 800 to
Featuring spectacular views of the San Gabriel Mountains, Altadena
was developed as a suburb of Los Angeles in 1887. It has long
refused annexation by neighboring Pasadena. Like Pasadena, tall palm trees
line the main thoroughfares and streets, providing a very Southern
California look and feel. Another set of trees (Deodar) that were
imported and planted in the late 1800's have actually been placed on
the list of State Historic Landmarks. Every December a tree lighting
committee decorates them with strings of lights, stretching nearly
one mile along "Christmas Tree Lane".
Historic Landmarks and Annual Events:
Balian House Display - December;
Old Fashioned Days & Altadena Festival - October;
The Woodbury House (1882)
State Historic Landmark;
Mount Lowe Railway
1906 Pacific Electric Railway Substation No. 8;
St. Elizabeth's Carnival and
St. Mark's Jazz Fest.
Official tree: The Deodar Cedar (Cedrus deodara). Indigenous to the
Himalayas, the deodar was brought as seeds to Altadena in 1883 by
Founder John Woodbury who saw the beautiful trees in Italy. Two
years grown the trees were transplanted to Santa Rosa Avenue where
they now stand majestically as Christmas Tree Lane.
Official flower: The California Golden Poppy (Eschscholzia
californica). Indigenous to the southland the golden poppy was a
landmark to Spanish sailors who recognized the area by a sweeping
gold carpet. They referred to the marvelous vision as sabanilla de
oro, "altar cloth of gold."
Points of interest
Christmas Tree Lane is a 0.7 mile stretch of Santa Rosa Ave from
Woodbury Rd. to Altadena Dr. It has been a holiday attraction since
1920 and is the oldest large-scale outdoor Christmas lighting venue
in the world. Each December, members of the Christmas Tree Lane
Association festoon the 110 still standing giant deodars that line
the street with thousands of Christmas lights. Christmas Tree Lane
was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990, and
is a California State Landmark.
Among Altadena's Christmas lighting attractions is the Balian
Mansion which collects world-wide tours for its Christmas lighting
display. The Balian Mansion has been lighted since 1955 and is
arguably the pioneer of home holiday lighting. The Balian Mansion is
located at the 5-point junction of Mendocino Street, Mendocino Lane,
Allen Avenue, and East Glenview Terrace.
The historic Mount Lowe Railway was once a scenic railway that
carried passengers to as many as four resort hotels high in the San
Gabriel Mountains above Altadena and Pasadena. Although the
mountains and the remains of the railway are not strictly in
Altadena, the most direct trail to the sites, the Sam Merill Trail,
starts in Altadena at the top of Lake Ave and leads to Mount Echo,
about 3 miles. Chaney Trail, just west of the intersection at Fair
Oaks Avenue and Loma Alta St., is a forestry service road which
leads to the old right of way. At pavements end one can choose a
moderate .8 mile hike to the Echo Promontory, or proceed straight
toward the site of the Mount Lowe Tavern, about 3.5 miles. The Mount
Lowe Railway was placed on the National Register of Historic Places
The Cobb Estate at the top of Lake Avenue is now a free botanical
garden of the United States Forest Service. It is guarded by its
historic gates which are easily bypassed to allow visitors and
hikers to ascend its long and winding paved driveway to the site of
what was once Altadena's premier mansions. This is found along side
the Sam Merill Trail which accesses Las Flores Canyon on the way to
Hahamog-na, a Tongva tribe of native Americans once lived in the Arroyo Seco.
Chief Hahamog-na met General Gaspar de Portolà of the Mexican Army
in 1770. With the establishment of the San Gabriel Mission (1773)
and the Pueblo de Los Angeles (1781), these California
lands were claimed in the name of the King of Spain.
Home of Capt. John Woodbury, built 1882. Altadena is the northernmost
portion of Rancho San Pascual as established by the Mexican
Government in 1826 after they had claimed independence from Spain.
California was annexed in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848
and became a state in 1850. The Mexican Ranchos were then open to
settlement from other parts of the Country. Rancho San Pascual was
settled by the Indiana Colony in 1874 and incorporated as Pasadena,
a Chippewa name derived from a translation for "Crown of the
Valley", in 1886. The highland areas, such as Altadena, remained
undeveloped areas of the Los Angeles County.
In 1880, Capt. Frederick Woodbury, cavalry retired, and his brother
John Woodbury of Marshalltown, Iowa, purchased 937 acres known as
the Woodbury Ranch. John Woodbury established the Pasadena
Improvement Company in 1887 with a plot plan of residential
development referred to as the Woodbury Subdivision. To attach a
name to the community, they contacted Byron O. Clark who had
established a nursery in the foothills in 1875 and had since moved
away. He called his nursery "Altadena Nursery", a name he coined
from the Spanish "alta" meaning "upper" and "dena" from Pasadena.
Since Clark had moved away, Woodbury asked if he could use the name
Altadena for his subdivision. Clark agreed.
The original development rendering shows an
Altadena Hotel, a railway yard that ran south to San Pedro and north
onto Salt Lake City, and streets named for California counties
running east and west, and avenues named for Spanish female saints
running north and south. Some of these street names still exist
today: Mariposa, Mendocino, Calaveras, Alameda, Sacramento, Santa
Rosa, Santa Anita. El Molino was named Santa Clara, Fair Oaks was
Santa Margarita, Olive Street was Santa Barbara. Lake Avenue was
named for a lake that existed in Pasadena, not Lake County. But
names like Shasta, Humboldt, Tulare, Santa Inez, Santa Maria and
Santa Isabela were never realized.
The first home built on the ranch was that of Col. Jabez Banbury in
1882, a beautiful Italianate Victorian home that was razed in 1919.
Banbury was a neighbor and comrade-in-arms of Frederick Woodbury,
who built his home on the Ranch two months later. It still stands at
the top of Madison Avenue in Altadena behind the Sheriff's
Department on El Molino. A plan to build a mansion for John Woodbury
at the northwest corner of Santa Rosa was proposed with a long
driveway leading up from the Pasadena limit. The drive was planted
with two year old Deodar cedar trees grown by Frederick behind the
house from seeds brought from Italy by John. This mile long drive of
trees has become the world famous Christmas Tree Lane.
The new community of Altadena attracted millionaires from the East. In 1887 Andrew McNally, the
printing magnate from Chicago and his friend Col. GG Greene
built mansions on what was to become Millionaire's Row, Mariposa
Street near Santa Rosa. Newspaper moguls Armiger Scripp and William
Kellogg built side by side just east of Fair Oaks Avenue.
L.A. Terminal Railway was laid through town and then the land
speculation boom faltered in 1888. Regaining strength as the word
spread about the fantastic climate in Southern California, Altadena Country Club
was built in 1911 and once had an 18 hole golf course. It is now the Altadena
Town & Country Club. An airport adjacent to the
country club was established by Cecil B. DeMille, the renown movie
director. That airport no longer exists.
The Altadena Country Club Parks development, where the Balian
mansion (of Christmas lighting fame) stands, was opened in 1912, and
Altadena Woods, where the "president" streets are, was developed in
the late 1920's. Famous western novelist Zane Grey bought the 1907
Woodward house near Marengo and Mariposa in 1920. Mrs. Grey helped
establish the Altadena Library District in 1926, and was its first
Prof. Lowe's world famous Mount Lowe Railway, opened in 1893, became
part of the Pacific Electric Red Car system until 1936, and the Red
Car ran into Altadena until 1941. Gen. Charles S. Farnsworth
developed an uninteresting piece of Forestry Department property at
Lake and Concha in 1928 to become Altadena (now Farnsworth) Park. In
1934, the Recreation Building on Mount Curve, later to be named the
William B. Davies Building, was added to the park through funding by
the WPA. In 1938, Davies also secured WPA funding for the Altadena
Library Building on Lake Avenue. The library moved to its present
location on the corner of Mariposa and Santa Rosa, replacing the
Col. Greene mansion in 1968.
The grandson of Andrew McNally, Wallace Neff, became a famous
Southern California architect. He started his career in Altadena
with the design and construction of St. Elizabeth of Hungary
Catholic Church ( parish est.1918) which was dedicated in October of
1926. A companion parish, The Sacred Heart of Jesus, was established
on the west side in 1957. The Church at the northeast corner of
Calaveras and El Molino was originally a Methodist-served community
church until 1934 when during the depression a Baptist society took
over forming the Altadena First Baptist Church. The Altadena
Community Church on Altadena Drive just east of Lake was dedicated
in 1948. St. Marks Episcopal Church was begun as a mission in 1909,
but grew to finally building a parish church on Altadena Drive just
east of Lake in 1948.
Altadena school, known as the Calaveras school has been at its
present location, given some expansion, since 1906. St. Elizabeth
Parish School opened in 1919. Eliot Middle School was completed in
1931 and named for Charles W. Eliot, President of Harvard College.
Eliot had visited Altadena in the past looking at establishing
observatories on Mt. Wilson and Mt. Harvard.
Over the years Altadena has been subject to annexation by Pasadena.
Annexation was stopped in 1956 by community campaigns though it has
been resurrected several times since without success.